When it comes to the curb appeal of your home there’s, only so much you can do to improve it. A lick of paint, tidy windows and welcoming entrance are the main ones. And, one item that you can do more with than you might think, is your front door.
Just take a moment to think about how iconic some front doors are:
- Number 10 Downing Street.
- The blue front door from the film Notting Hill.
- Sherlock Holmes’ door for 221B Baker Street.
Number 10’s door is so well known globally that it’s replicated, a lot. Indeed, the blue front door from the Notting Hill film was so well known, that the owner auctioned it off and replaced it with a different one, to help stop fans of the film visiting.
Make the right impression
As you can see, the right door can make a lasting impression! But, that doesn’t mean you have to buy yourself a new one to make a significant change.
There are a number of ways to ensure your door and front entrance help to exude the right feel and style. They include:
- Add a lick of paint – this can be a regular change, say every year. Or, you can find the right colour and stick with it, tidying it up when required.
- Give your door a certain style with the type of numbers you use – there are so many options, brass, pottery, decorative, simple or elaborate.
- Door knocker or bell – again you can select one that is as elaborate or functional as you wish. But, if you want it to be a noticeable feature, it might need to be a little larger than you think!
- Hang seasonal wreaths – this is a popular decorative choice in the US and it does work really well. Even if your door is a little tatty or not quite how you would like, a well-made wreath draws the eye and it’s pretty much all your visitors will notice.
- Place a planter or planters at your door – with planters you can really add your personality and taste to your front door. Not only is there such a wide choice of actually planters, you can choose from hundreds of plants, miniature trees, shrubs or flowers.
New door and surround
Of course, if you think it’s time to install a new door and surround, then you can select the perfect door for you and your home. And, not only should you consider curb appeal and taste, but security can come into it too.
If you’re a fan of the popular white PVC doors that are a common sight in the UK, then you still have quite a wide choice. How much glass panelling do you like, how about the surround – solid or glass – and the locking system is also subject to your preference.
Wooden doors remain a classic option too. Again, you’ll have your choice of panelling and surrounds as well as the locking options.
Composite doors are considered a very secure option, not least because of the seven-point locking system available in these sturdier doors. As with a wooden door, they are available in a range of colours or can be varnished for a natural look.
So, the options for creating the right impression with your front door are wider than you might have first thought. It’s also something that doesn’t always have to cost as much as you expected. But, with the right accessories, colours and placement, you could create a front door that’s memorable – for all the right reasons!