Changes that could affect your benefits

You must tell your local council about all changes in circumstances immediately. It is a criminal offence not to report a change.

You usually have one month to tell the council from the date of the change in your circumstances. If you delay in telling them, you may lose out on benefit.

You can tell them about a change in circumstances by email. You can also call into the council offices to report a change, or tell them by phone. Take a look at our Directory of Local Councils for the details you require.

Change of address

If you move to another address in the same local council area and were receiving housing benefit at your old address, and you have had no other changes, you will still need to inform them of this change by contacting them at one of the above methods.

Other changes of circumstances

Every time the council receives information from you, they will write back to confirm how this affects your benefit. If you do not receive this confirmation, you must assume that they have not heard from you. If this is the case, you must contact them again. It could be considered as fraud if you knowingly continue to receive benefit when your entitlement may have changed.

They will assess your claim using the information you have given to them.

Cron Job Starts